Software and Computing

Software and Computing Meeting

2012-03-14 12:00
2012-03-14 13:00
America/New York
Wednesday, 14 March 2012
1-189, EVO, at 16:00 (GMT), duration : 01:00
TimeTalkPresenter
12:00News from the run ( 00:15 ) 1 fileBernd Surrow (MIT)
12:15Updates on HFT geometry and tracking development ( 00:20 ) 1 fileJonathan Bouchet
12:35AgML, closing the loop ( 00:15 ) 1 fileJason Webb (BNL)
12:50AOB ( 00:10 ) 0 filesAll (All)

Software and Computing Meeting

2012-02-22 12:00
2012-02-22 13:00
America/New York
Wednesday, 22 February 2012
1-189, EVO, at 17:00 (GMT), duration : 01:00
TimeTalkPresenter
12:00Period coordinator report, news from the Run ( 00:15 ) 1 fileLeonard Eun (LBNL)
12:15Calibration updates Run 12 ( 00:15 ) 2 filesGrant Webb (UKY)
12:30Embedding updates ( 00:15 ) 1 fileTerence Tarnowsky (MSU)
12:45QA findings and progress for Run12 ( 00:15 ) 1 fileGene V. Buren (BNL)
13:00AOB ( 00:20 ) 0 filesAll (All)

Offline QA Histogram Trigger Types

Offline QA Histogram Trigger Types

  • By default, the Offline QA histogramming code (under StRoot/St_QA_Maker) creates multiple sets of QA histograms (those booked in StQABookHist

Software and Computing Meeting

2012-02-15 12:00
2012-02-15 13:00
America/New York
Wednesday, 15 February 2012
1-189, EVO, at 17:00 (GMT), duration : 01:00
TimeTalkPresenter
12:00News from the run ( 00:15 ) 2 filesPibero Djawotho (TAMU)
12:15AgML status - answers of the committee's answers ( 00:20 ) 1 fileJason Webb (BNL)
12:35ESL and SUMS updates ( 00:20 ) 0 filesLevente Hajdu (BNL)
12:55AOB ( 00:05 ) 0 filesAll (All)

Software and Computing Meeting

2012-02-08 12:00
2012-02-08 13:00
America/New York
Wednesday, 8 February 2012
1-189, EVO, at 17:00 (GMT), duration : 01:00
TimeTalkPresenter
12:00News from the run ( 00:15 ) 0 filesPibero Djawotho (TAMU)
12:15Calibration update for Run 12 and Run 9 re-production ( 00:20 ) 2 filesGrant Webb (UKY)
12:35Production update ( 00:10 ) 0 filesLidia Didenko (BNL)
12:45AOB ( 00:15 ) 0 filesAll (All)

Software and Computing Meeting

2012-02-01 12:00
2012-02-01 13:00
America/New York
Wednesday, 1 February 2012
1-189, EVO, at 17:00 (GMT), duration : 01:00
TimeTalkPresenter
12:00Migration of the DB values from online to offline and monitoring ( 00:20 ) 2 filesDmitry Arkhipkin (BNL)
12:20Vertex finding using KFParticle ( 00:20 ) 1 fileYuri Fisyak (BNL)
12:40AOB ( 00:20 ) 0 filesAll (All)

Software and Computing Meeting

2012-01-18 12:00
2012-01-18 13:00
America/New York
Wednesday, 18 January 2012
1-189, EVO, at 17:00 (GMT), duration : 01:00
TimeTalkPresenter
12:00 Run 9 pp 200 FF re-calibration status ( 00:10 ) 2 filesG. Webb
12:10Run 6 pp 62 reproduction QA ( 00:20 ) 1 fileG. Vasconcelos
12:30Embedding status ( 00:10 ) 1 fileT. Tarnowsky
12:40Tools for event generators in STAR ( 00:20 ) 1 fileJ. Webb

FGT commissioning

2012-01-10 11:00
2012-01-10 12:00
America/New York
Tuesday, 10 January 2012
EVO bridge, at 16:00 (GMT), duration : 01:00

Present: Hal, Anselm, Bernd,Gerard,Ramiro,Will, Jan, Dave U., and Steve G.

 Milestones for FGT comissioning are :  

  1. ***DONE***  demonstarted 90% of channels work before collossions (pedestals are healthy)
  2. ***DONE***  FGT hold 3.6kV w/ ArCo2 gass
  3. demonstarted 90% of channels still work when beam circulates
  4. timing is set
  5. mapping in offline DB is correct
  6. set workig point for pp500 

 

FGT commissioning tasks  ver 2   (time ordered, [M]- denotes a milestone) 

 
------- FEE powered on, STAR DAQ operational ------ 
 
1) setup all control files and demonstarte all GUIs are operational
2a) ped+status table ,  [M1: 90% of APV works & 90% of channels/each APV works]
2b) adjust APV ped in fee , repeat - if needed 
3) access: fix broken hardware
4) HV test w/o beam , N2 gas, 1 day, Bernd, [M2: FGT holds 3.6kV]
5) swap gas , N2-->ArCo2, Bob S. , 1/2 day, just before collisions
------- require collision overnight ---------  
6) HV up/down w/ collisions, 6 days, Bernd+Gerrit
7a) ped+status table , 1 day  [M3: 90%-90% live channels under beam] 
7b)  access: fix broken hardware
------- minB trigger set -----
8)  attempt to catch FGT collision signal during ETOW timing using minB trigger
-------   EHT trigger, possible 3/4 of ETOW HV off to better use avaliable band width ----
10) set timing, 3 data sets taken 2 days apart, 1 week, Jan+Gerard , [M4: timing set]
* set 1 : disperse offsets for groups 5APV (per octant), scan TCD delay to catch collision in some 
* set 2 : adjust all APVs, determine residual corrections per APV
* set 3 : verify signal centered at 2nd time bin for all APV chips
11) re-adjust APV ped
12) verify quadrant mapping, 1 day , few data sets with quadrants HV on/off
13) verify APV mapping, take few data sets with alternative APVs on/off .
--------- regular pp200 physics data taking, many fills  ---------

13) study of FGT working point : multiple data sets, ~2 days per set, considered combinations:

     *gas mix: 70-30 , 90-10 
     * HV set to 3.4, 3.5, 3.6 kV
     * low gain ref data at  low HV with one gas mix
14) verify strip mapping using  large  data sets, needs non-existing software [M5: mapping in DB is correct]

------------ after few weeks of pp200 data taking -------

15) tune APV  params to optimize signal shape,  Criterium:   signal amplitude to noise RMS , no code for that  

16) enable ZS , requires Willie's online monitoring to work, and on-line peds computation (by Tonko's  code?) 

----------- before switch to pp500 ---------

17) chose final working point for FGT HV & gas-mix [M6: pp500 lworking point]

-----------  pp500, take production data: goal prove FGT works ---------

 18) operational L2W algo w/ monitoring , Ross works on it now

 

 

Minutes:

  •  overview of commissioning plan, revision follows (draft schedule in attachment, obsolete), main conclusions:
    • significant # of tasks can and should be accomplished before the first collisions - see green section
      • analysis of ped+stat of one taken already run should proceed now
    • we do not have schedule with dates & names, I'll not give up on this
    • there are 4 people who will be allowed to operate FGT HV are: Benrd,Gerrit,Ross,Ramiro
    • handling of FGT operation in to STAR crew is a very distant idea, the plan is this 4 people will support fgt operation on site as long as it is needed 
    • finding the collision signal in FGT data is perceived as very difficult (shown in red)
      • it is safer to require the EHT trigger (plan A), but also try to see FGT signal with minB trigger during EMC timing scan (very optimistic scenario)
      • FGT deadtime in the early weeks is ~700 us, e.g. 7% dead @ 100 Hz.
      •  may require lower EHT thres and turn of HV for 3/4 of ETOW - need dedictaed trig config & EMC settings
      • deveopement of not existing code fitting time dependence of individual pulses has  been elevated to the top
      • in parallel developement of nonexisting code fitting integrals will be pursued
    • verification of mapping in DB will have 3 phases: quadrant, APV, and strip-level
    • tuning of peds in APV will be done twice: ASAP, and after timing is adjusted
    • not decided what FGT gas pressuer & HV will be set for study of the best working point (days-long data sets in pp200)
      • analysis criteria were discussed: efficiency vs. HV; cluster size; efficiency vs. saturation of cluster energy; MIP signal to pedestal width;
      • with disconnect to avaliable software - there is no code do generate any of those observables nor people to schedule to work on it
    • identified need for software to evaluate signal/noise , needed to tune APV settings
  • the discussion about use of existing vs. developing new code was endless.  People remained faithful to their respective views. In my opinin the comissioning task #16 - enableing ZS for pp500 - requires Willie to finish up the code he started.  Many side benefits justify Willie does it now, not  in a month. 
  • questions from Jan:
    •  access dates  - Bernd will sent a note
    • will FEE be on 24/7 : yes, said Gerard
    • how do we deal with correlated noise : Gerard suspects it is not a big issue, we have ped file taken w/ STAR DAQ and a maker based software to compute sth. Limitted (to 1) possible manopwer. Analysis downgraded in priority, after code for items up to 13 is in hand.
    • when do we switch to ZS mode? G: at the end of pp200.
    • will we ever use  wave form readout mode? G: we do it already. 
  • NOT discuss status of FGT readout based on Willie's plots http://drupal.star.bnl.gov/STAR/node/23008/
 
 
 

 

Software and Computing Meeting

2011-11-02 12:00
2011-11-02 13:00
America/New York
Wednesday, 2 November 2011
1-189, EVO, at 16:00 (GMT), duration : 01:00
TimeTalkPresenter
12:00HFT software status ( 00:20 ) 1 fileSpiros Margetis (KSU)
12:20Open calibration issues for starting Run 11 AuAu200 production ( 00:20 ) 0 filesGene V. Buren (BNL)
12:40Update on data production ( 00:10 ) 0 filesLidia Didenko (BNL)

Tracking Eval meeting #7

2011-11-01 15:00
2011-11-01 17:30
America/New York
Tuesday, 1 November 2011
1-189, EVO, at 19:00 (GMT), duration : 02:30
TimeTalkPresenter
15:00Tracking Review Planning ( 00:15 ) 0 filesJerome Lauret (BNL)
15:15Documentation Status ( 00:15 ) 0 filesJason/Victor/Ivan/All
15:30Production samples readiness ( 00:15 ) 0 files Lidia Didenko (BNL)
15:45Track-by-track evaluation ( 00:15 ) 0 filesYuri Fisyak (BNL)
16:00Tester results and questions ( 00:20 ) 1 fileAll

Tracking Eval meeting #6

2011-10-25 15:00
2011-10-25 16:30
America/New York
Tuesday, 25 October 2011
1-189, EVO, at 19:00 (GMT), duration : 01:30
TimeTalkPresenter
15:00Review of past action items ( 00:10 ) 0 filesAll
15:10Review of the production samples readiness ( 00:10 ) 0 filesLidia Didenko (BNL)
15:20Track-by-track evaluations -- Status ( 00:20 ) 0 filesAll
15:40Logistic forward: review material preparation -- AgML ( 00:20 ) 0 filesJason (BNL)
16:00Tester results and questions ( 00:20 ) 0 filesAll

Software and Computing Meeting

2011-10-19 12:00
2011-10-19 13:00
America/New York
Wednesday, 19 October 2011
1-189, EVO, at 16:00 (GMT), duration : 01:00
TimeTalkPresenter
12:00Calibration status for Run 11, AuAu 200 GeV ( 00:20 ) 2 filesGrant Webb (UKY)
12:20REview of the status of the dE/dx and possible resolution improvements ( 00:20 ) 1 fileYi Guo (USTC)
12:40Embedding status - opened problems and ongoing work ( 00:20 ) 1 fileTerence Tarnowsky (MSU)

Logistic forward and timing

Speaker : Jerome Lauret ( BNL )


Talk time : 15:55, Duration : 00:20

 

Assuming the review is on the 14th, we have less that 4 weeks. The suggested timeline is:

Review of past action items

Speaker : All ( All )


Talk time : 15:20, Duration : 00:20

Action items included

Tracking Eval meeting #5

2011-10-18 15:00
2011-10-18 16:30
America/New York
Tuesday, 18 October 2011
1-189, EVO, at 19:00 (GMT), duration : 01:30
TimeTalkPresenter
15:00Updates on the committee members + fixing review date ( 00:20 ) 0 filesOlga Evdokimov (UIC)
15:20Review of past action items ( 00:20 ) 0 filesAll (All)
15:40Review of the production samples readiness ( 00:15 ) 0 filesLidia Didenko (BNL)
15:55Logistic forward and timing ( 00:20 ) 0 filesJerome Lauret (BNL)
16:15Tester slots, results and questions ( 00:20 ) 0 filesAll (All)

Software and Computing Meeting

2011-10-12 12:00
2011-10-12 13:00
America/New York
Wednesday, 12 October 2011
1-189, EVO, at 16:00 (GMT), duration : 01:00
TimeTalkPresenter
12:00FMS software status, structure and plan forward ( 00:15 ) 1 fileThomas Burton (BNL)
12:15TPC alignment studies with lasers, a review ( 00:20 ) 1 fileGeydar Agakishiev (JINR)
12:35SC&GL calibration and estimations of the systematic uncertainties ( 00:15 ) 1 fileAlan Davila (UTA)
12:50Year 2012 geometry readiness ( 00:10 ) 1 fileJason Webb (BNL)

Checking Ohm's Law with TPC current

We checked Ohm's law with TPC average currents in RunXI AuAu200GeV RFF dEdx calibration sample and it gives

Software and Computing Meeting

2011-10-05 12:00
2011-10-05 13:00
America/New York
Wednesday, 5 October 2011
1-189, EVO, at 16:00 (GMT), duration : 01:00
TimeTalkPresenter
12:00Calibration updates, Run 11 and looking forward ( 00:20 ) 2 filesGrant Webb (UKY)
12:20TpcRS updates, improvements on dE/dx ( 00:20 ) 0 filesYuri Fisyak (BNL)
12:40AOB ( 00:20 ) 1 fileAll (All)

Software and Computing Meeting

2011-09-21 12:00
2011-09-21 13:00
America/New York
Wednesday, 21 September 2011
1-189, EVO, at 16:00 (GMT), duration : 01:00
TimeTalkPresenter
12:00Run 11 calibration update ( 00:15 ) 2 filesGrant Webb (UKY)
12:15Production status ( 00:10 ) 0 filesLidia Didenko (BNL)
12:25Alignment and distortions studies ( 00:25 ) 0 filesGene V. Buren (BNL)
12:50AOB ( 00:10 ) 0 filesAll (All)

Software and Computing Meeting

2011-08-31 12:00
2011-08-31 13:00
America/New York
Wednesday, 31 August 2011
1-189, EVO, at 16:00 (GMT), duration : 01:00
TimeTalkPresenter
12:00Calibration status for Run 11, 27 GeV and remainder ( 00:20 ) 4 filesGrant Webb (UKY)
12:20Simulation production news ( 00:15 ) 0 filesJason Webb (BNL)
12:35AgML into the BFC ( 00:10 ) 0 filesJason Webb (BNL)
12:45AOB ( 00:15 ) 0 filesAll (All)